Monday, June 1, 2015

One Major Medical Event at a Time Please

Can we deal with one major medical event at a time please?  Apparently not.    I disappeared from this blog for the past few days because I've bee dealing with a medical emergency.  Not cancer related.  Not even my own.

My son has been dealing with headaches for the last couple of months.  They always seem to coincide with changes in barometric pressure, but we've had a lot of storms lately.  We were headed out of town for the weekend and ended up in the ER in a town about 1 1/2 hours from home.  We spent five hours there and then he was sent via ambulance back towards home.  Not the way I anticipated spending this weekend and definitely not the way my turkey hunters planned to spend the last weekend of turkey season.

Everyone anticipated this to be a shunt malfunction.  Everyone was surprised when all testing showed that it was not and the shunt is still working like it should.  I even heard doctors throw the miracle word around.  I'm so thankful for that miracle and that his doctors recognized it.  :)

We are still on the search for the answer to these headaches.  I don't even care if I ever learn the why, I'm just looking for a way to prevent them from happening.  Next step = EEG and neurologist.  Maybe we'll get some answers there.

This is not a great way to reduce stress and boost my immune system.  But, it is a great way to forget I have cancer for just a minute.  And, it was a great way to realize my priorities.  My kiddos needs will always come first.  I know that taking care of myself (their mom) is the best way to take care of them in the long run.  I'm just glad I didn't have to make that hard choice this weekend.  All my energy could be focused on them.

I hate needing hospitals for me, but I hate it even more when it's needed for one of them.

Thankful thoughts for today:
Sunshine
Time outside
Insurance
Library

If you like what you're reading, please follow this blog.  It's a great way to see when I've posted something new.  And leave comments.  I'd love to start a conversation!

1 comment:

Feel free to comment or ask questions any time. Please be kind and respectful.