Friday, June 19, 2015

Keeping Life as Normal as Possible

In the midst of all this craziness, one of my biggest concerns is how to keep life as normal as possible for my family.  I have wonderful parents who are willing to do whatever to help make that happen.  Both my kiddos were signed up for church camp, but since my son had his own medical emergency, church camp was eliminated for him.  I'm so thrilled that he'll be spending the time at Grandpa camp instead.  He's pretty excited and I'm releived knowing that his medical needs will be addressed and he'll be in excellent care.  How do I manage to keep things as normal as possible when we're all home?  Our daily routine will be interrupted since I will not be leaving my house for awhile.  So, how do I keep things normal around here without resorting to too much TV/video games?

I just read an article in FamilyFun magazine titled, "The Happy Family Playbook."  So, here are their seven things to work into family life to help create happiness:
1.  Commit acts of kindness
2.  Lol-a lot
3.  Jump for joy
4.  Unplug a while
5.  Get into gratitude
6.  Go play outside
7.  Celebrate sunny thinking

The good news is we already lol and I'm sure we'll continue to do that.  I will just have to make a conscious effort to involve them in daily gratitude.  And, we already try to monitor screen time and will continue to do so.  We even have a list of things that must be  completed before screen time happens:  Reading, Clean Room, One Chore, Summer School, Something Creative (play, build, draw, etc.).  That is already a habit and will continue.

I think I'm going to need help from all of you to make this a summer of fun and not about cancer.  Any ideas?  Also, how do I help my husband feel like a loved and appreciated husband, and not a nurse?

If you like what you're reading, please follow this blog.  It's a great way to see when I've posted something new.  And leave comments.  I'd love to start a conversation!

2 comments:

  1. Honestly, it sounds like you plan on being super busy with the kid's daily routines. I think what you might want to do is give yourself permission to embrace that this summer will be a little different, and that is okay. If the kids have a little more screen time on a day you feel especially gross, it is okay. If you want to have movie marathon Mondays with them and do nothing but pj's and movies, that is okay. They will remember those special times of cuddling and just hanging out with you. In fact, I love themes. You could theme it up. Movie Mondays, Taco Tuesday, Sundae Sundays, etc. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Grandpa Camp!!! I love that. :) You know, every summer I anticipate boredom and crazy moody kids, and every year we sink into the groove and have the best time. I wonder if that won't happen for you with your extenuating circumstances, too - you have such sweet, smart kids. I bet they'll pick up the slack in their own ways and be more willing to do a little extra and also keep themselves more entertained. We like to do outside play outside in the mornings, and save all inside stuff for when it gets super hot. That includes board games. Apparently, we all love board games at this point in life:)

    As for your husband, I bet you don't even have to worry about that guy. That being said, I think every spouse benefits from having a little set-aside alone time to do whatever he needs/wants.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment or ask questions any time. Please be kind and respectful.