Monday, June 15, 2015

Cancer Will Define My Life Forever--Part 2

This is the week I've really begun seriously researching what I am about to experience.  I've been making a list (and checking it twice or three or four or more times.)  :)  I've been trying to make sure I'm as prepared as possible for my upcoming surgery, recovery etc. both physically and emotionally.

I've been living under the mistaken assumption that maybe I could have surgery only and other than a changed body and ongoing hormone therapy, life could quickly return back to normal.  I've been working on boosting my immune system for improved healing after surgery.  Well, today I discovered what I think I've known all along--cancer changes your life forever.

Surgery will include the removal of lymph nodes.  I knew this would weaken my immune system for awhile.  What I don't think I fully realized until today is that we are talking about a permanent change.  Lymph nodes will be removed from my body and they do not grow back.  What this means is that part of my lymphatic system responsible for fighting off infection will no longer be working.  I have been under the mistaken assumption that I just have to be careful to protect my immune system for awhile until it starts fully functioning again.  Although the human body is an amazing thing and it's possible for other lymph nodes to work harder to pick up the slack of the missing lymph nodes, my immune system will be permanently altered.  This is going to be a lifelong battle.  Lymphedema can develop at any time, weeks, months, years after surgery.

My life will be forever defined by cancer.

Thankful thoughts for today:
Preparation time
Restaurant reopening
Ice Cream

If you like what you're reading, please follow this blog.  It's a great way to see when I've posted something new.  And leave comments.  I'd love to start a conversation!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man. I didn't think of that either. Ugh. Definitely look into food sensitivity testing at some point. Once you avoid the foods you are sensitive too, your immune system will work much more efficiently.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment or ask questions any time. Please be kind and respectful.