Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Genetic Testing

My genetic testing results are in and . . . they are all negative.  So, what does that mean?  That means the genetic markers for cancer were not passed to me genetically and I cannot pass them to my children because I don't have them.

Does not having a genetic marker mean you will not get cancer?  Obviously not.  I don't have the genetic mutations, but I do have cancer.  I am not a mutant!  (At least not where cancer is concerned.)  :)  It means I do not have the genetic mutation and cannot pass it to my children.  We are all still at risk: 1 in 3 for women or 1 in 2 for men.  Nice, huh?  

I don't mean to scare you, but I do want you all to take care of your health.  Get the recommended routine screenings.  Wear sunscreen.  Live smart.  But, don't live scared.  Everyone should live like today is their last day, because for some it will be.  Some of us will face cancer.  Some of us will face accidents.  All of us will face life changing moments.  Jesus said, "In this world, you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world." John 16:33  (NIV) We are promised to have trouble in this world, but the good news is Jesus has overcome the world.  With Jesus in the driver's seat of my life, I know everything will turn out better than I can even imagine.





Now for the question that seems to be on everyone's mind, if not genetic mutation than "Why?"  Here is my answer, "Why not?"  I heard Tom Brokaw doing an interview about his book about his cancer journey say the same thing, "Why not me?"  When the odds of getting cancer for women is 1 in 3, why not me?  Why should I be immune?   No, this is not something I would choose, but I will face it head on and spend time asking the question "What next?"

I have learned that asking "Why?" and "What if?" does not serve much purpose in moving forward toward what is ahead of me in life.  It does not help me fulfill my purpose and make a positive impact on the lives of those around me.  It does not help me move forward and discover new and amazing things.  So, I will be spending my limited energy focusing on "What Is" and "What's Next?"  Join me as I do this.  I can't wait to see what God has in store.


I plan on being around for awhile, so take care of yourselves so you can be around with me.  

Thankful thoughts for today:
Change of meeting date
Construction projects getting scheduled
Support group
Church family

If you like what you're reading, please follow this blog.  It's a great way to see when I've posted something new.  And leave comments.  I'd love to start a conversation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment or ask questions any time. Please be kind and respectful.